A CROSS-SECTIONAL STUDY ON VISITOR KNOWLEDGE AND BELIEFS ABOUT ANTIBIOTICS IN PUSKESMAS IV DENPASAR SELATAN
By : Yullianto
Faculties : Fakultas Kedokteran
Department : PS. PENDIDIKAN DOKTER
Antimicrobial resistance has increased drastically in both developed and developing countries. According to the CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention), outpatient antibiotic overuse in the USA was a particular problem in the Southeast. In India, uropathogenic Eschericia coli (UPEC) has showed their resistance to ampicillin, co-trimoxazole, and ciprofloxacin for UPEC were 85, 74, and 72% respectively. A study that conducted in two cities in Indonesia, Semarang and Surabaya revealed 8% of Eschericia coli showed their resistance to ciprofloxacin. Misuse of antibiotics is related to the behavior in using antibiotics. A study revealed that knowledge and beliefs are social cognitive factors that related to each other. They were influence health-related behavior, such as the behavior of using antibiotics. The purpose of this final paper is to describe the visitorís knowledge and beliefs regarding the use of antibiotics in Puskesmas IV Denpasar Selatan working area. This study use cross-sectional study design and a consecutive sampling technique was applied (N = 49). Data were collected using a pre-tested questionnaire and analyzed using descriptive statistics. The results showed that 18.4% of the respondents were at the poor level, 48.9% had moderate level of knowledge, 32.7% had adequate knowledge, and 69.4% respondents had appropriate beliefs while the rest (30.6%) had inappropriate beliefs about the use of antibiotic. In conclusion misconceptions regarding antibiotic use exist among people in this study. Therefore, improving appropriate knowledge regarding antibiotic is required.
Keyword : knowledge, beliefs, antibiotics, antibiotic resistance
Download : -